A certified shorthand reporter does not take down minutes, but rather provides a verbatim transcript. In order to provide the most accurate record, there may be instances where he/she asks the speaker to speak up or repeat themselves. The reporter must be seated in a location at the venue where he/she can see and hear each speaker. If this meeting is open to the public, anyone speaking must state their name before speaking.
The reporter will also need:
- Meeting agenda, if available
- List of any scheduled speakers
- Copy of slides, if applicable
- A desk/table on which to place equipment
- A power outlet
- A direct audio line, if possible